Our Pistachio and Olive Oil Cake is a firm favourite in our restaurants - but don't just take our word for it. It's a Great Taste Award winner too! So next time you fancy a sweet treat at home why not get baking and recreate it. The recipe is surprisingly simple to make and is the perfect addition to a dinner party or as a birthday cake or just as an afternoon snack with a cuppa. We use our own olive oil, but any good quality olive oil will taste great too.
• 50g finely ground polenta
• 200g shelled pistachio nuts chopped
• 50g plain flour
• 1tsps. baking powder
• 100ml ASK Italian Extra Virgin olive oil
• 100g butter
• 3 eggs
• 200g castor sugar
• Juice and zest of 1 lemon
• Juice of 1 orange
Serve: up to 10 / Prep: 30min / Cook: 50min
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 140ºC Fan / Gas 3, grease and line an 8'' baking tin.
2. Pop the pistachios into your food processor and blend to a fine powder.
3. Melt the butter and add it to the olive oil.
4. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar with an electric whisk until they're light and fluffy.
5. Slowly add the butter/oil mixture onto the whisked egg a little at a time. Whisk on a low speed a little at a time until it's a thick emulsion.
6. Sift the flour, and then whisk the dry ingredients (polenta, plain flour, baking powder and pistachios) into the egg/ oil mixture.
7. Add the juice and zest and fold into the mixture.
8. Add the mixture to your baking tin and bake at 160ºC / 140ºC Fan / Gas 3 for 40 minutes. When you take the cake out of the oven, it'll look slightly underdone in the middle. Don't worry, the cooling process will finish it off.
9. Let it rest in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out on a cake rack to cool.
10. Dust with icing sugar and serve freshly baked.